Forrero Rocher’s used to be a favourite indulgent dessert for Elspeth our founder, but after turning vegan she realised she could no longer snack on these cheeky chocolates! Instead she got creative in the kitchen and made her own fully vegan version that are completely refined sugar free, dairy free and gluten free for a nourishing pick me up at any point in the day! They make a perfect travel snack too, simply pop them in one of your empty Norty jars and pop in your gym bag, handbag, coat pocket or lunchbox.
Cooking time: 15 mins
Difficulty rating: 2/5
190g Soaked Dates
25g Cacao Powder
¼ tsp Vanilla Essence
A pinch of Pink Himilayan salt
16 whole Hazelnuts (for the centre)
45g Toasted and blitzed Hazelnuts
20g Coconut Sugar
- First of all, boil a kettle and in a bowl soak your dates, setting them to one side for 5 minutes so they start to go gooey and soft.
- After 5 minutes using a sieve, drain your dates and squeeze out the excess water.
- Next, add all of your dates, nuts, cacao powder, vanilla essence, Norty choc hazelnut butter and Himalayan salt to a blender and blitz until a gooey ‘dough’ forms.
- Remove the ‘dough’ from the blender and mould 16 balls in the palm of your hand (30g of mix per ball). As you do this, pop a whole hazelnut into the centre for a Norty crunch when you bite into these delectable treats.
- Once your balls are rolled out, leave in the fridge to go extra firm. Meanwhile take 45g of hazelnuts and blitz them up in a blender until they are broken into small crunchy pieces to coat the outside of your balls. Take these blitzed hazelnuts and lightly dry fry them on a medium heat in a frying pan so they are gently toasted enhancing their flavour. Make sure you continually stir your nuts for about 2-3 minutes and be careful not to burn!
- Add the toasted hazelnut pieces to a small bowl and pour in 20g of coconut sugar. Remove your chocolate hazelnut balls from the fridge and each ball in the toasted hazelnut and coconut sugar topping so they are evenly coated in this sweet, toasty and crunchy topping.
The last step is simply to devour till your heart’s content! If you do try out this tasty recipe be sure to let us know what you think and send in your snaps by tagging @Norty in your instagram posts!